David Anthony represents clients throughout Tennessee’s state and federal courts in bankruptcy and commercial litigation, with a focus on matters involving creditors’ rights, judgment collection, banking, real property and construction law. David also works with banking and commercial clients in strategic planning, contract drafting, real estate transactions and loan documentation.
Clients appreciate David’s straight-forward approach to complex issues, as well as his business judgment, efficiency and sense of humor. David is frequently the lawyer other lawyers call when they need expert advice on novel or unique legal issues.
David has provided commentary and expertise to the Tennessee Bankers Association and the Tennessee Bar Association on legal issues arising under Tennessee law, frequently meeting with state legislators to advocate and correct existing and proposed legislation impacting creditors, contractors, and the banking industry.
David’s excellent legal work has been recognized by the bar and the legal industry. He has been named one of the “Best Lawyers in America” for bankruptcy litigation (2021, 2020, 2019) and for insolvency (2020), the “Best of the Bar” in bankruptcy by the Nashville Business Journal (2019), a Mid-South Super Lawyer (since 2012), and holds an “AV Preeminent” rating from Martindale Hubbell (since 2011).
In recognition of his commitment to public service and his pro bono work, the Tennessee Supreme Court named him an “Attorney for Justice” in 2016, 2018, 2019 and 2020. In the legal community, he serves on the board of the Mid-South Commercial Law Institute and is the Chair of the Executive Committee for the Creditors Practice Section of the Tennessee Bar Association.
David is a sought-after speaker on topics related to bankruptcy, post-judgment collections, foreclosures, ethics and trial practice. For more than a decade, David has maintained and published a website, CreditorsRights101.com, and corresponding Twitter feed (@creditorlaw), both of which discuss emerging issues in creditors’ rights, bankruptcy and commercial litigation. David is regularly featured in both local and national media commenting on noteworthy cases and legal trends.
- Banking & Commercial Documentation
- Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Real Estate
- Creditors’ Rights & Judgment Enforcement
Professional Honors & Activities
- 2021, 2020 Best Lawyers in America: Bankruptcy Litigation and Insolvency, Best Lawyers
- 2021 Nashville Post “In Charge” Legal
- 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014 Mid-South Super Lawyer and 2013 Rising Stars Award
- 2019 Best of Bar: Bankruptcy, Nashville Business Journal
- 2020, 2019, 2018, 2016 Attorney for Justice Award Winner, Tennessee Supreme Court
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
J.D., cum laude, University of Tennessee College of Law, 1999
B.A., summa cum laude, University of Memphis, 1996
- All Tennessee State Courts
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Middle, Western and Eastern Districts of Tennessee
- United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Middle, Western and Eastern Districts of Tennessee